Saturday, November 5, 2011

Las últimas días en Buenos Aires

It's hard to believe that it's already November! Thursday was my last day of classes, and I have four days of exams during the coming week before my program is complete. How did that happen??

I've been pretty busy, completing final projects and starting to get ready for exams, so I really don't have much for exciting news. I do, however, have a few musings to share...

Considering the two study abroad experiences that I have had - here in Buenos Aires and in Salamanca, Spain, three and a half years ago - I feel like the biggest thing I have gained from each is how it has really made me think - about myself, how I live my life, the people that I have in my life, my future, and all kinds of other little things.

Silence and green...

I love big city life. I love all of the activity, how things are always moving, the tall buildings, busy streets, city noises. I have never lived this close into a big city, though, and it has really made me realize how much I appreciate a bit more space. Silence doesn't exist here, especially since my bedroom window is so thin. There is always the sound of passing cars and screeching brakes, sirens, dozens of dogs barking, preteen girls screaming about Justin Bieber (there was a concert a few weeks ago at the stadium that is three blocks from my home), horns honking - ohh the car horns. And green... although there are parks in the city, everything is just so confined. Even in Houston, we still have front and backyards since we're not living right in the city center. Although Decorah is not the kind of place where I see myself living permanently, I definitely have a new appreciation for the environment. If I want a bit of silence, all I have to do is walk a short distance, down to the river, to Dunning Springs, to the prairie - and there is so much green and life everywhere! Life in a place like Decorah is all of the nature and small town friendliness, while in Buenos Aires, life is the constant movement of the city. I love both! I have just learned to recognize and appreciate the contrast even more.

Diversity...

This is a big thing for me. When I arrived to Buenos Aires, something that really struck me was the lack of diversity, considering what a large city it is. Although there is, of course, some diversity, it's not to the extent that I would expect. This is considering many different dimensions - clothing, hairstyle, ethnicity, religious beliefs, lifestyle, everything. Walking around a place like Houston, there are just so many different kinds of people everywhere, and it really doesn't even phase me since that's what I'm used to. Here, however, I do actively notice differences in people, due to the fact that it's just not as common as in many other big cities that I've been to. Not to say that it's a bad thing by any means - it's just different, and different does not mean bad. It's kind of like a fruit salad - one with apples, bananas, strawberries, and oranges is very tasty, but adding pineapple, peaches, grapes, watermelon, and cantaloupe just makes it so exciting and colorful!

Credit and debit cards...


Argentina is a cash economy. Many places here do not accept credit cards, or if they do, much of the time there is a fee (plus, since I'm out of the country, my bank charges a fee every time I use my card... thanks, but I'll pass!). Because of this, you always have to think about where you're going, how much cash you need, and what sizes of bills. When you're making a small purchase or just at certain types of stores, they often won't accept large bills due to the lack of change. Since ATMs only give out $100 peso bills, you have to be strategic about when and where you break your $100 bills. Again, this is just a little difference I have noticed and it has made me realize how convenient it is to pay with a card.

Family and friends...


Cliché, I know, but being so far away from all of my family and friends for five months has made me realize even more how much I love and appreciate them. Especially since I've moved back up north for college, I have been able to see my extended family much more often, and I love it! It's fun to be able to go sledding or have Sunday dinner every so often with my family in Decorah, to spend breaks up in Austin with my grandparents, or to decide on a whim to spend a weekend up in Minneapolis and get to see my cousins' hockey games. And my friends, both back at school and the few in Texas - gosh, I know some wonderful people! Catching up with friends back in Houston over a four hour long coffee date, making cardboard boxes into caterpillars with my amazing roommate instead of studying, sneaking away to the Mall of America for a day with some of my girls, making great memories with friends over the weekend. Ahh, what fun.

Well, I think that's enough of my thoughts for now. My large stack of flashcards for my art exam is calling my name...

No comments:

Post a Comment