Friday, June 24, 2011

To Buenos Aires I go!

June 24th... my departure date has kind of snuck up on me! So recently, it felt like June 24th was so far away. The month of summer that I had has gone by ridiculously fast, but I have used it to its full potential! And now, I start classes again on Monday. Yikes!

My flight is supposed to leave from Houston tonight at 9 p.m., but there is a possible delay because of the eruption of the Puyehue Volcano in Chile. The cloud of ash has migrated to Argentina and over Buenos Aires, so some flights have been unable to leave or arrive on time. There are a handful of other ISA students on my flight, so at least we would all be in the same boat if the flight is delayed.

I'm quite excited for this new adventure that I am about to embark on, but my nerves are definitely kicking in. I'm nervous to use my Spanish again, to be away from friends and family for so long, to live in a completely unfamiliar and huge city (13 million people!), to take classes in Spanish, and for any culture shock that I may experience. BUT, I'm so excited to improve my Spanish, to be immersed in and learn about Argentine culture, to meet new friends and all kinds of interesting people, to live with my host mother and learn about Argentina from her perspective, to travel, to take an International Business course in a foreign country, and so much more.

Along with the wonderful memories that will be created, I know that I will face challenges during these next five months, but in the end they are only going to help me become an even stronger and more independent individual. I am so driven to be as well-rounded and open-minded of a person as I can possibly be, and I think that this experience is going to contribute greatly to that goal of mine.


I'm going to do my best to update this blog with stories and photos as often as I can while I'm gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment