Thursday, September 15, 2011

Del dicho al hecho hay un largo trecho...

Updating my blog regularly? "Easier said than done."
I obviously have not been a very good blogger lately, seeing as my last post was on the 28th of August... oops.

In the whole time I've been in Buenos Aires, going to Teatro Colón still remains as one of my favorite things that I have done. A few weeks ago, I went on a guided tour and I learned a bit more about the history of the theater, which I loved!

Construction of Teatro Colón began on May 25, 1890, and it was inaugurated on May 25, 1908, with a performance of Verdi's opera, Aida.
The outside of the theater was designed with an eclectic style of architecture, as a result of the succession of architects that took charge over the project. After Francesco Tamburini (Italian architect) died, his partner, Victor Meano (Italian), took over, and after Meano was murdered, Jules Dormal (Belgian) was assigned to complete the construction.

The interior of Teatro Colón is designed in the French Baroque style of architecture.

The tiled floor of the entrance hall. Every single tile was laid by hand.

There are four different types of marble used in the entrance hall. If I remember correctly, they were imported from Italy, Portugal, and either France or Spain.

Gorgeous French-imported stained glass in the entrance hall.

A portion of el Salón Dorado (the Golden Room)
Absolutely gorgeous - the gold ornamentation in the top half of the room is gold-plated. Each chandelier - there are more in the longer hallway of the room - is made of bronze and weighs a ridiculous amount that I cannot remember (at least a ton).

And of course, the breathtaking performance hall.
This is a picture from my first visit (I just had to post it again because it's so beautiful!) because there was a ballet rehearsal going on, so we could not take pictures. We were able to see about ten minutes of the rehearsal though!

People relaxing in the park outside of Teatro Colón.

It's crazy to realize that it is already September 15th. I remember June 25th, the day I arrived in Buenos Aires, like it was yesterday! So much has happened since then, and I still have many things I'm looking forward to. Studying abroad and living in another country is a such a wonderful experience. There are so many amazing places to see and things to do, so many people to meet, and so much to learn. What I feel is the most incredible aspect of study abroad, though, is how much it opens your mind and makes you think - about yourself, your home culture, the way you live your life, your values and beliefs, your future, everything. I felt that way when I studied in Spain as well, and that was for just five weeks. This is five months!

On another note, drivers in Buenos Aires are ridiculous. I really cannot get over it. And people think Houston drivers are bad! Hah! I have seen bus drivers do the sign of the cross after they just manage to avoid being hit/hitting another vehicle. Umm... wouldn't that tell you that maybe it would be a good idea to be a bit more cautious? Well, I guess not.

One of the veeery few stop signs I've ever seen in Buenos Aires.
(It really says something if seeing a stop sign is a photo worthy moment...)

I went on a long walk the other day and took a bunch of pictures for a project about architecture for my Contemporary Argentine Art class, and simply for my enjoyment too, of course!




La Parroquia Inmaculada Concepción
"La Iglesia Redonda"

Absolutely gorgeous

It was so peaceful inside the church.

This Saturday I have an excursion with ISA for "el día de campo," where we will go to a farm and learn about the lifestyle of Argentine gauchos. It should be a blast! Hopefully I will find the time soon to write another blog post about the excursion.

Love to all of my family and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment